STEPHEN LANGER ARCHITECTS PORTFOLIO 53 A listed group of farmhouse, barn and oast. Early C16th ironmasters house, not in fact a Wealden Hall house but known as a 'transitional' so probably built around 1500, with an inserted first floor al- though the centre bays are still recessed. Total restoration of this building was needed; the screens passage entrance with front and rear doors facili- tated the construction of a rear cross wing. This follows the pattern of evolution of this type of building and built with an oak frame to provide a modern family kitchen and master suite over. Large glazed panels give views of the intimate Sus- sex countryside. This approach allowed the historic floor plan of the house to be preserved. The small single kiln oast built much later is converted to a 3- bedroom annex/holiday let. An attractive part of the group setting, the oast sits next to the hammer pond behind the barn. The barn, which is listed in its own right, is oak frame and has been converted with a light touch. This means the principal space is preserved as a 'playbarn' with all the ancillary rooms in the catslide. HISTORIC FARMSTEAD